Male Wraps...

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don\'t fit in other categories.

Moderator: k9carts

Spin

Male Wraps...

Post by Spin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:31 am

Has anyone used them? Do they leak? Do they prevent urine from getting on the skin? How long should they be worn? How often do you change them? I am considering ordering some and any advice on their performance & the frequency of changing them would be great. I know it depends upon the leakage amount. The problem with my dog & I is that his leakage amount is different each day & night. I will probably start off with two. I used the ones at Petsmart and they leaked through to the bed and got all over the belly especially over night. (I put a female sanitary napkin in them AND then I tried a male incontinence pad in it) Over the night is when I need them to work the most because the pee pads slip out from under him as he moves & shifts during the night. I had two of the Petsmart types. I guess I did not change it often enough during the day so maybe I need more. I can't change it in the middle of the night though. My dog is old and just has leakage, he can hold his bladder but he does leak. Thanks if anyone has any suggestions. :?: :? :?

k9carts

Re: Male Wraps...

Post by k9carts » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:28 am

Do they leak? Do they prevent urine from getting on the skin? How long should they be worn? How often do you change them?
If the waist size fits your dog and you change them frequently enough, then they should not leak. Although the male wraps are listed by weight, a better measure may be the "waist" size of your dog where the male diaper will cover the penis.
Approximate dimensions are as follows:
Small male wraps fit 12-15 inch waists.
Medium male wraps fit 16-22 inch waists.
Large male wraps fit 22-28 inch waists.
XL male wraps fit 28-35 inch waist.

They should not cause skin irritation since the pooch pad male wraps have a wicking material to move the urine away from the skin. They also have a super absorbent material beneath the wicking layer that is also antimicrobial to help eliminate nasty urine odor.

Frequency will depend on your animal and the cause of incontinence. If you can express your dog's bladder, we always recommend this rather than allowing the urine to dribble out because the bladder is full. If your dog is on diuretics or corticosteroids like prednisone or prednisolone, then they typically may be drinking more and urinating more and need more frequent changes.

We always suggest starting with a pair of wraps to make sure they fit your dog and then if you are happy order more. We feel these are a superior product to the many male wraps/diapers that you need to insert a sanitary pad to collect the urine.
K-9 Cart Company East
206 E. Pier St.
Oxford, MD 21654
866-K9-CARTS/866-592-2787
410-226-5006 (v)
410-226-0168 (f)
k9carts[@]yahoo.com