New handicapped pet community page

For owners of K-9 Carts who would like to discuss their experience, ask questions of other K-9 Cart owners, or simply share.

Moderator: k9carts

editor

New handicapped pet community page

Post by editor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Red Flyer on Face Book http://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Flyer ... 2952477252 is a new community page for caretakers of handicapped pets

Join us for advice, health, nutrition and care tips, or simply share stories about your special needs companion.

Red Flyer has only one goal, to let them all fly again.

Suzejacques

Re: New handicapped pet community page

Post by Suzejacques » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Hello ,
My name is suzannah, and i have a german shepherd who is 11 years old, im worried as my dog is usually ok when walking, he has a slight weakness in his back legs, but the last day or so he has trouble even walking, it is worrying me and i would want him eventually to have a dog wheelchair as it wouldnt be fair to see him not be mobile , i am really upset as never thought it would come to this and would love anyone who has been in this position to give me some advice

Thankyou

Very upset suzannah :-(

k9carts

Re: New handicapped pet community page

Post by k9carts » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:44 am

Hi Suzannah and welcome to the forum!

It is a horrible thing to have a dog that seems to be mentally okay but having mobility issues. The first thing you need to do with a German Shepherd is make sure that the problems walking are associated with degenerative myelopathy and not another issue, such as disc disease or a tumor. Has your German Shepherd had any tests done by your vet?

You can find more information about wheelchairs and degenerative myelopathy on our blog at:
http://www.k-9cart.com/index.php?option ... Itemid=783

We are also happy to discuss your Shepherd's particular needs in person at 866-K9-CARTS.
K-9 Cart Company East
206 E. Pier St.
Oxford, MD 21654
866-K9-CARTS/866-592-2787
410-226-5006 (v)
410-226-0168 (f)
k9carts[@]yahoo.com