Rescue Group Seeking Wheelchair for Yorkie

Used dog wheelchairs looking for new owners and pets in need.

Moderator: k9carts

amanda121287

Rescue Group Seeking Wheelchair for Yorkie

Post by amanda121287 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:55 pm

`Hi to all. Our rescue has just taken in an adorable and spirited yorkie who has no use of his back legs, they are perfectly normal and he has slight movement in his tail but no movement or feeling in his hind legs. So far diagnostics have not found the reason for this and the vets who have looked at him think he may have been born without the use of his legs. Scooter has adapted really well and not only gets around but even plays with other dogs and can lift himself into a standing position. This is our first experience with a dog with this particular issue so please bear with me if I don't know everything (or very much at all) about dog wheelchairs and I am open to all suggestions or information that might help us do a better job with this little boy. In any event he loves to go on walks if we use a scarf or towel to support him (and in fact would walk without that but we are afraid that he will scrape his legs and injure himself if we let him do too much outdoor walking without some support -- are we wrong?). We were thinking that he might do well with a wheelchair/cart and would love to be able to provide one for him. As with all rescues our funds are sadly limited and I don't think that we can affort to purchase a new wheelchair for him so we are hoping that someone might have a used wheelchair that they would be willing to let us borrow, donate to us, or let us purchase at a reduced price. Scooter is about 12 lbs and has a pretty typical yorkie body profile. Thanks for your help and information.